Saturday 10 October 2015

Remind or remember?

What is the difference between these two slightly similar words?

Well, if I take a look at the following definitions (taken from: http://www.espressoenglish.net/difference-between-remember-and-remind/) it becomes easier:

Remember

Remember is when you think of a memory (a past experience):
  • I remember the first time I ever swam in the ocean, when I was 5 years old.
  • Do you remember what happened when Joe forgot to buy a present for his wife on her birthday?
  • I don’t think he remembers that we met 30 years ago.
Remember is also the opposite of “forget.” You can use remember to talk about keeping something in your mind:
  • Please remember to wash the dishes after you finish eating lunch.
  • I was already at work when I suddenly remembered I had a dentist appointment at 9:30. I called the dentist and rescheduled it for the next day.
  • I can’t remember her name. Is it Alice or Annie?

Remind

Remind is when a person or thing makes you think about something.
  • My mother reminded me to wash the dishes after I finished eating lunch.
  • The secretary reminded Mr. Greene that he had a meeting at 4:30.
  • Josh uses the calendar on his cell phone to remind him about important dates.
  • Our shopping list reminds us what we need to buy at the supermarket.

All sorted?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment